Friday, July 29, 2011

Meeting the Oncologist

Today I met the oncologist.  One of many who will be part of my treatment team.  I felt like the experience was almost like on-line dating.  I had checked out his professional profile and picture prior to meeting him.  He was reviewing all of my records and my medical history.  I went to the appointment with some of the same apprehension of meeting a date for the first time.  The entire appointment I was sizing him up and thinking if I wanted to see him again.  I'm sure he was trying to figure out what kind of patient I would be as well.  In the end, I really liked him.  He was smart, and kind, and up front with the treatment choices and why decisions were made the way they were.

The appointment today made everything really real.  Before meeting the oncologist, there was a theory about what the future held.  Now there are prescriptions and treatment plans and appointments to be made.  Although I have another couple of weeks before all of my treatments begin, I am beginning to face what the future will bring and how my life may be modified due to the treatments.  A continuous infusion means no swimming for a while.  Starting my day with radiation treatments brings a whole new meaning to being a morning person.  I really do have cancer and I do have an incredible journey ahead of me.  At least it's Friday!

2 comments:

  1. You know all you need to do is ask if you need us while you're going thru this. We know you have the strength and determination to get thru it, but we're here if you need us. Love, Nor & Dad xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you and please know that you are in our prayers.
    From Margaret Y

    ReplyDelete