Thursday, March 1, 2012

My City, My Trail

Who knew it could be above 50 and sunny in Pittsburgh in February?  I certainly didn't believe it until this past Monday.  I have been worried about my physical fitness the last couple of weeks. I went from exercising every day to a couch potato in a very short time.  Being physically fit is very important to me and having the chemo hold me back has been bothering me a bit.  I love to be outside but when I breathe the cold air, it is just so painful.  It's almost gotten to where I'm afraid to go outside and take that first breath never knowing if the side effect has passed or not.

Well, Monday it was 57 degrees and sunny in Pittsburgh.  I was not going to miss this opportunity.  I knew with the air that warm that I would be able to get outside.  I have a beautiful trail right outside my building that runs along the river.  I have walked the trail and ridden my bike on it so many times, I know every square inch and when there are new plantings or if the trail has been modified in some way.  I decided on this day, I wouldn't push myself and just walk to PNC Park and back.  I dressed warmly and put these super warm mittens on and wore 2 pairs of socks.  I started off slowly and got passed by a much older woman but I was not to be deterred from my walk.

It was so great to be outside and walking on the trail.  I was just smiling from ear to ear.  As I approached PNC Park, downtown Pittsburgh came into view.  Boy have I missed my city.  I really enjoy living in Pittsburgh and being so close to downtown.  Seeing it again from the trail helped me feel not so distant from all the things I enjoy about Pittsburgh.  I was hoping the outfield of PNC Park was open to walk through but no luck.  I also found that the trail in front of PNC Park was blocked for construction.  I was still feeling pretty good and decided to walk down to see Mr. Rogers and check on my seats at Heinz Field.  I got down to the Mr. Rogers statue and took a seat right next to him to get a good view of the city.  Then, after a little rest, walked by Heinz Field.  I can't wait for Pitt Football to start up again.  I didn't miss a game last fall even though I was toting around a pump of 5FU for most of the games.

Finally, I circled back and made my way back to my apartment.  The sun was shining and it was a bit breezy but it was so nice to be outside doing my usual thing.  Even the Canadian geese and their gross poop didn't bother me on Monday.  I know soon enough it will be kayaking season (it opens my last day of chemo and I'm going on a trip prior to my infusion) and I'll be riding my bike up and down the trail again.  And then before you know it, it will be time to make the walk for all the Pitt games with some of my really good friends.  I love that trail and I am so happy I live right on it.  And mostly, I was happy to find out that I'm not as out of shape as I thought I was!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are getting to enjoy some of the outside. This is just a temporary set-back. You'll be back to your usual activities before you know it and all of this will be a distant memory. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could email me?
    David

    ReplyDelete