Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Strolling Along

Well, it's been almost two weeks since my surgery.  I apologize for not updating the blog as planned.  The last 2 weeks didn't go as I had planned!

My surgery went extremely well despite having to be at the hospital at 4:45 in the morning.  Everything went well in pre-op.  I was rolled into the OR, moved to the table, felt a sharp pain in my IV and I was out.  Next thing I knew I was in recovery feeling pain where my ostomy once was.  I actually asked the nurse more than once if the surgery was successful.  She assured me I no longer had an ileostomy and all was well.

Upon arriving at my room in the hospital, the nursing staff informed me that I had to walk to my bed.  The doctor wasn't kidding that I would be up and moving around as well as having clear liquids the night of surgery.  I ran into a small issue not being able to urinate so I ended up with a foley cather before the day was over.  I wasn't happy about this as I couldn't wear pants!

The next couple of days were filled with ups and downs.  Sometimes I felt great and other times I had pain or just didn't feel well.  Finally on Sunday morning around 3 am my bowels started working and well, didn't stop for several hours!  I knew it was going to be a challenge to learn to go potty again but I didn't think it would be that bad.

Despite being able to move my bowels, I was having lots of trouble feeling bloated and having pain after eating.  I called my distended stomach, lovingly, "Budda Belly".  Budda Belly would come and go over the next couple of days.  It was a bit disheartening for me because I thought I was going to go home on Sunday.  Finally on Tuesday evening I negotiated a deal with the surgeon regarding how much I had to eat without pain medication to go home.

Finally on Wednesday afternoon I was discharged from the hospital.  I was so happy to go home and sleep without interuptions and eat good food.  The first order of business upon arriving home was to take a very long hot shower.  Ahh, the shower felt so good.  In fact it felt so good that I then took a 3 hour nap afterwards!

Thursday I was a bit sore and happy to just sit around and watch TV and play silly games on my iPad.  By Friday, I was up and moving around and feeling well.  I ran to the store to pick up some clothes to fit my Budda Belly and then I was off to the Pirates game.  Each day I was feeling better and better.  My biggest challenge was to not do anything.  You see, I am not allowed to do anything by stroll until the beginning of August.  That means no cycling, yoga, kayaking, swimming or golf.  All that is left is to stroll.  I can appreciate the restrictions as to avoid getting a hernia but I don't know how to fill my time!  Most of my activies are physical in nature and being held back is killing me!

Tuesday I went back to work.  I know it was less than two weeks since my surgery but I was going crazy at home.  If I can't do physical activies, at least let me use my mind!  I was back in the swing of things very quickly at work.  Thankfully nothing blew up in my absence.  By the end of the day, I will admit I was tired and required a long nap when I got home but it was good to be amongst the living again.

So, now I just have this hole in my abdomen that has to heal.  The surgeon left it open to close.  They tell me it will take about 2 weeks to close.  Until it closes I can't go in the water so I'm anxious for it to heal over.  I am going to Jamaica in just 2 weeks!

The journey is really winding down.  Yesterday I was even having trouble believing that at one time, I had an ileostomy.  I have my post op appointment with my surgeon on Monday and when I return from Jamiaca, one last visit with the oncologist.  I'm hoping he will give me the clearance to have my port removed and really be done.  It's hard to believe the year has gone by.  At times I felt I just couldn't see the end of the tunnel and now I can't believe it has been a year already!

No comments:

Post a Comment