Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Surgifesto

So I had an amazing last meal last night.  Seven courses overlooking the city that I love on a perfectly clear night.  I could even see my building.  Truly a special night.  I got one last swim in this morning and really enjoyed being in the water.  I plan to squeeze in some Dave and Andy's ice cream today right before I start on clear liquids today.  I am really hoping there is chocolate and peanut butter ice cream today!

As I wrap up today with the fun things, I turn to finalizing the preparations for being in the hospital.  I have been giving a lot of thought to the hospital experience and how I would like it to be.  I was inspired by Alton Brown who wrote a manifesto for when he meets his fans.  I have taken the time to create "Carol's Surgifesto." 

As I prepare to take the next step in this incredible journey, I have been thinking about my life and where I am to date.  I have been very fortunate to have many good times in my life.  I have also had some downs but it seemed no matter what, I survived.  In fact, I think I have more than survived.  Throughout my life, although things didn’t always go perfectly, I think with each adventure I have become stronger and a little wiser. Among the things I have learned are: just breathe, take time to reflect, sit on decisions, keep a positive attitude and ask for help.

I have been overwhelmed by the support my friends and family have provided me along this journey.  It is comforting to know so many people care about me and that help is just a phone call (or text) away.  At the same time, the support can be stressful and difficult to manage at times.  Knowing myself and applying the lessons I have learned, I am requesting the following during this next step of my journey:

Please limit visiting hours to 11-2 and 5-9.  I need rest, time to reflect and time to learn about caring for myself for when I leave the hospital.  Limiting the visiting hours will help bring a balance between being supported by my family and friends and honoring my needs.
It is important to me to have a very positive environment in which to recover.  I do not see this surgery as something horrible, difficult or something that will impact my life greatly; it is merely a step along this journey.
Please allow me to be the only communicator with the nurses regarding my care and my needs.  It is important for me to voice my own needs and communicate with them in a way I feel comfortable with.  Being the sole communicator will also help me feel I have some control of the hospital stay, in which I know I really don’t’have much.
Please allow me to take care of myself and do things for myself unless I ask for help.  It is extremely important to me to be independent as much as possible during recovery.
Please mind my personal space.  I am not a person who has a lot of close physical contact when I am well.  When I am not feeling well, close physical contact will make me feel uncomfortable and stressed.

1 comment:

  1. So well said, Carol. So often, us loved ones feel unsure about how we "should act". You've done us all a favor by setting some guidelines and taking stress away from everyone. You've put such thought into your preparations that I know everything will go smoothly and you'll be back on your feet in no time. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete