Thursday, February 9, 2012

25% Through Chemo

Yesterday was another chemo day.  I wasn't looking forward to it at all based on my experiences from the first treatment.  It was a dreary day in Pittsburgh but the treatment center wasn't so bad.  I had a different nurse this time but equally as nice and competent.  She even had a few minutes just to chat with me.  The routine is the same: access the port, draw blood, wait, pre-drugs, wait, chemo, pump hook-up home.  This time it took about 30 minutes less than last time so no complaints for me.

I had lovely company yesterday.  At lunch, we opted for food from the cafeteria.  The nurse brought us a menu for us to make our selections.  My friend and I considered changing chemo days so some of the other days' choices seemed right up our alley.  My friend offered to go and I was trying to explain the complicated directions to the cafeteria, my nurse came to the rescue with a secret passage way.

It wasn't long after lunch that my chemo was through and the home care nurse came to hook me up to the pump.  Before I knew it, we were home and I was relaxing on the couch watching Murder, She Wrote.  Doesn't get much better for relaxing than a cup of tea and Jessica Fletcher!  My friend stayed with me to make sure I was OK and to supply me with homemade chocolate chip cookies.  Yum!!!!  Before my friend departed, we played Super Mario Bros.  We didn't get very far.  I know I was holding her back but she would never admit it.  I really need to sharpen my skills!

The side effects were much more tolerable this time around.  I still got the numbness in my knees and forearms but it wasn't as intense as last time.  But just like last time, it went away sometime in the night.  I did have a lot of trouble sleeping last night which drives me crazy but I am hoping will turn into a great night's sleep tonight.  Today I am feeling pretty good.  No sour stomach or fatigue or pain.  The biggest, and it's a big problem, is the effect of the cold on my hands.  It's just so painful even with gloves on.  The only other issue is keeping fluids warm for me to drink them.  I can't even drink room temperature beverages right now.  These side effects take about 5-7 days to pass but boy, when they are present, it is not pleasant!

So I am 25% through the chemo treatments.  After this experience, I know that I can make through the entire course and it's not going to be as bad as I thought it would be.  Yeah, I would prefer not to have chemo at all but I really can't complain too much.  Besides, complaining never makes anything better anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment