Thursday, February 16, 2012

Not Really Complaining

I've never really been a complainer.  I feel like it just highlights the bad and doesn't help any.  I know as I go through this journey I have every right to complain, but I don't think I have much.  I know for others complaining is helpful and gets all the negative feelings out.  Not for me though.

I couple little things have been bothering me though.  They aren't life changing or a big deal but they have been bringing me down a bit.  I feel like the mental part of this journey is just as important as the treatments and the physical aspects.  As these little things were dragging me down, I decided to address them yesterday.

One issue that has been bothersome is my teeth.  As frequently as I brushed them during the day, my mouth always felt dirty and had a bad taste.  I know that one of the side effects of the chemo is mouth sores but this was different.  A friend of mine and I go to the same dentist.  He just happened to be going yesterday and asked the dentist about what I can do.  My dentist provided a sample of Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash because I apparently have a dry mouth.  With just the first use last night I noticed a huge difference.  My teeth have not felt this clean in weeks and I didn't have to get up in the middle of the night to get a drink.  Today, I don't feel like I have bad breath and no film is developing on me teeth.  One issue solved!

The second issue is that my nose is always runny.  I don't have a cold and I'm not sick.  Apparently the chemo causes increased secretions (which I don't understand the dry mouth issue).  Anyway, my nose is getting a little sore from blowing it.  I have found that taking Sudafed does the trick.  I only take it during the day when I am working or out doing something as I don't want to take it all the time.  But, it dries me up and lets me enjoy my day and give my nose a break.

Finally, my complection has changed.  The chemo has caused my freckles to be out like they are in the summer.  I also noticed my foundation just hasn't been providing me the coverage I am used to.  So, I went to the Clinque counter yesterday and had a consultation.  They assigned me to a breast cancer survivor who went through many of my same issues so it was good to talk with someone who really understood what I was going through.  After some trial and error, we found some products that I was happy with the way I looked.  Of course while I was there, I had all my make up done for fun.

I can't tell you how much better I feel today with these little issues resolved very quickly.  So, was I complaining?  I'm not sure.  I would prefer to label it as addressing the issues.  Either way, I'm glad I took care of what was bothering me because it's made a huge difference in my mood.  And I guess if there is ever a time, that I'm going to deal with little things that bother me, this is the time!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you were able to get things resolved. Your mental mood means a lot.

    ReplyDelete