Thursday, November 17, 2011

Help with Publicity?

I have been posting on a web site through the American Cancer Society, called WhatNext.  It's sort of like Facebook for people with cancer.  The site allows you to post your journey using very specific items like hospitalization, or chemo, or radiation, or celebration.  The site also helps you to be matched with others going through the same journey so you can follow each other.  My favorite part is an area to ask questions.  Members of the site can post any questions they want as long as it is related to cancer or treatments.  There is a whole wide range of questions and I have posted many answers.  I'm fortunate that I was a case manager at one point in my life and I have a lot to share.  It's also comforting to hear about people going through the same things you are that only someone else going through it can truly understand.

This afternoon I received an e-mail from the moderator of the site.  I thought I was going to be in trouble for posting too many things but instead I was asked to help with the publicity of the site.  I didn't realize it, but the site started just as I was diagnosed so it hasn't been up for too long.  Because of the success they are having with the site, they are working on a publicity campaign.  I was asked to help out because I have been so helpful on the web site.  To me, it would be an honor to help out the site.  I was just telling a friend this weekend that when I complete active, I plan to volunteer and donate to the ACS because this site has been so helpful to me.  I guess I'm going to be volunteering a little sooner than I thought!

3 comments:

  1. I would expect nothing less from you! How wonderful that you can be such a help to others. You never cease to amaze!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Carol. That is great news. As long as I have known you, you have always been a go to kind of gal. You always had an answer or could direct me to someone else who had the answer. The people on the ACS website to which you are referring will have an excellent resource person with you on board. Take care. Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome Carol!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete