Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Count Down Continues

Well, just 5 short weeks until surgery.  That's just 35 days!  Being the "good" Catholic I am, when it was 40 days, I started to think about Lent.  Those long 40 days and 40 nights.  I had given up Jack Daniels this past Lent.  It just seemed appropriate at the 40 day milestone to surgery, that a reverse Lent would be in order.  I think I can manage consuming a Jack and Coke every day for the next 40 days.  I'm five days in already and five for five!  I mentioned this to my PCP on Tuesday and she was wondering if I would be needing to go to detox before surgery!  I have to be careful who I mention my reverse Lent to. 

I am progressing with my legs getting a little better each day.  I still have welts but they are not as painful and no new ones are appearing.  I had some additional blood work this week just to be sure things are moving in the right direction.  I was also released from care from my radiation oncologist.  It was bitter sweet for me.  I was thrilled to not have to face radiation again but my doctor and his team of nurses were just amazing.  I'm hoping to take a stroll down to see them when I am admitted for my surgery.

I have about a week and a half off from doctors appointments.  I am looking forward to the break and enjoying my time.  I believe I have some dinners and breakfasts with friends planned as well as a basketball game, a football game and a nice long hike.  Not to mention a big wedding next weekend!  They always say many don't appreciate life until it's taken away from them.  I think I have always tried to live life to the fullest but knowing something is coming up that will slow me down a bit makes me appreciate all the great people I and fun activities I have filled my life with.

No comments:

Post a Comment