Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Living Life to the Fullest

They say having cancer teaches you to live life to the fullest and appreciate all the little things in life.  I have always felt that I have lived my life to the fullest.  I have learned through this journey, though, that my definition of fullest may have been a bit off.  By fullest, I believed it was having a full calendar.  In the past, I used to study my Google calendar carefully to make sure there was no down time.  If there were multiple things to do in one day, somehow I would figure out how to make it work.  That's living life to the fullest, right?

Well, I guess my definition of fullest has evolved in the short time I have been diagnosed with cancer.  To me, living life to the fullest is changing to really being there.  I used to see on a co-worker's office door, a sign that stated, "Be Here Now."  I have repeated those words to myself many times when studying or in class or a meeting when my mind drifted.  I think I can now take that phase to the next level.  I understand now that it's not just a physical presence to life but a full engagement. 

I was at a friends' wedding this weekend and so happy to be there.  I had taken a break from the dance floor and found myself thinking about life and my options at that moment.  I could continue to sit and watch the dancing and be present at the wedding, or I could participate and continue to dance and truly experience the fun of the day and be part of my friends' wedding.  I got up to dance and danced the rest of the night away with a new understanding of what it is to really live life to the fullest.  My feet were really sore on the way home but it was worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment