Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pre-Operative Visit

Yesterday I had my long awaited pre-operative visit.  I have known most of the details of my surgery since I was diagnosed but it's hard to believe it's actually here.  The doctor spent a lot of time with my yesterday drawing diagrams to explain the surgery and then showing me where the incisions would be.  I was very excited to learn that my incision will be that like a C-Section and not one straight down the middle of my abdomen.  There will be some small incisions in my belly button and on the sides but nothing that would lead to huge scars.  It's amazing what can be done today.

I was also tattooed for the location of the ileostomy.  This is a very important process that helps the ileostomy be successful.  I had to move in different directions and figure out where I wear my pants so they could figure out the best spot.  I was tattooed in the same manner I was for the radiation treatments.  It's not so bad after you know what to expect.

So now, I am pretty much ready to go.  I have to have an EKG and blood work next week and then I have the yummy prep to look forward to the day before surgery.  I, of course, will be packing a bag for my time in the hospital with plenty of PJ's and some things to keep me occupied while I am waiting for my bowels to start working again.  I was told I will be staying in the new section of the hospital which is great news!  So, 3 weeks and counting!

No comments:

Post a Comment