Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Final Countdown Begins!

Yesterday was an interesting day.  I can't think of a better word to describe it without being negative and that's just not my style.  I had a test called a Gastrografin.  It was awful.  I don't wish it on my worst enemy.  The test was uncomfortable and the after effects were really not pleasant.  I won't go into details but it made it seem like a colonoscopy is a walk in the park.  On the positive side, I have no leaks in my intestines so I am ready to have the reversal!

After the test, I went to see the surgeon for my pre-op appointment.  That appointment went very well.  It was very exciting for me.  There is no prep for the surgery which is great.  Clear liquids for the day before surgery but I can handle that.  Rita's counts as clear liquids!  I will be in the hospital 3 nights and will be able to return to my normal activities as I feel up to it.  They said they would approve me for 4 weeks off from work but you know I will be back in less than two.  I can't sit home that long.  I will have to take care of my wound where my stoma was.  They let it close on it's own so I will have an open wound for a week or so.  I'm sure it will heal quickly.

Life after surgery will be interesting.  It will take a couple of weeks for my body to get used to things being back to normal.  The surgeon told me to be patient and kind to myself.  He is sure in a couple of weeks that things will be normal and I will be on my way with my usual busy life.  I have to modify my diet for the first two weeks with low fiber diet.  There could be some swelling and he doesn't want anything to get stuck like the last time.  Of course that diet doesn't help with making going to the bathroom normal but I will deal with it.

So, now it's just 2 weeks away until my surgery.  The countdown has started (well it started a while ago) but the official countdown has started!

No comments:

Post a Comment