Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Blood Results

Today was a chemo day.  I have to get my pump refilled and needle changed once a week.  It's actually quiet easy and quick.  They draw blood from the port and remove the needle.  Once the blood work is back, the nurse inserts a new needle, hooks me back up and I'm on my way. 

The interesting thing about today was seeing my blood results.  They were fine; no worries there. They did, however, change.  I had always been proud of my excellent H&H and was always a good blood donor.  There was a drop this week and it's to be expected but it made me realize that I am getting treatment.  I have felt really well over the last week or so and have gotten used to carrying around the pump.  Still, today, seeing my blood results made me realize that although I feel good and actually don't even realize half the time that I am hooked up to a pump, that I am receiving radiation and chemo.  It's a sign that the treatment is impacting me even though I don't feel so.

No one expects my blood counts to ever be an issue during my treatment and they probably won't get anywhere close to needing a transfusion.  Still, it was a real eye opener today.

1 comment: