Monday, August 29, 2011

One Week Down, 5 To Go

With one week of treatment under my belt, I feel like I am finally on my way on this journey.  Overall, the week has been without any complaints or major issues.  I have had to learn how to not forget my pump when getting up (I had about 6 close calls) and how to shower with keeping the pump and port dry and get me clean.  It's harder than you may think!  I have also had to learn which clothes are easiest to wear with the pump.

I had a couple great moments this week.  The first was Wednesday night when I had to go to dinner with a vendor.  It was only my second day of treatment and I was still getting used to everything.  At dinner I was able to tuck my pump in the chair with me and no one could see the dressing on my port.  After a couple of hours of dinner I completely forgot that I was hooked up to anything and getting chemo.  It was a really great feeling to know that as long as I am feeling well, this pump and chemo is not going to consume my life or keep me from doing things.  It was also really nice to just "forget" for an evening that I was on this journey.

The other great moment is when I had to wear a suit on Friday to work.  I was apprehensive how I was going to wear the suit being all hooked up but I managed to feed the tubing through the sleeve of my shirt and no one even noticed that I had the pump with me.  When I looked in the mirror getting dressed, it was like any other day going to work.  Again, I forgot that I was even hooked up to the pump.  I made sure I got to each of my meetings early on Friday and tucked the pump on my lap.  No one even knew I had the pump except when it made its occassional noise.  Even then, I don't think they knew what the noise was!

I know I still face 5 more weeks of treatment but the little successes I had this past week have given me the confidence I need to make it through.  Of course I may start to get warn out or have other side effects from the treatment but I can't see any of that holding me back!

No comments:

Post a Comment