Monday, August 8, 2011

Still Getting Ready

It feels like it is taking forever to get this show on the road!  I probably won't start any treatments until the week of August 22.  That's another 2 weeks.  My portacath site is healing well.  I get to take the dressing off today and take a real shower.  I can't wait!  I am so itchy from the dressing.  This week I'll be having a PET scan and CT scan to get ready for radiation.  Overall, though, it should be a quiet 2 weeks while waiting to start.

So what does one do while just waiting?  Well, I've tried to figure out all the holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, etc that will occur over the next 2 months and get everything I need so I don't have to worry about it during my treatments.  I've also bought all the items suggested by my doctors that I may need to address the side effects of the treatments.  I plan on packing a bag in my car so if I'm out and about and don't feel like heading home, I can crash at my friend's house.  I've taken up working on jigsaw puzzles and have procured some additional puzzles in case I just feel like hanging out at home and not being out.  I have even gone as far as considering to read.  I know.  Crazy!  But, I think if I find the right book, perhaps I may like reading.

Overall, I am feeling really well.  I think I am pretty much recovered from my surgery two weeks ago.  The port site is coming along and will actually be used for the first time this week for my scans.  I'm feeling pretty up beat and ready to get this journey moving forward.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Carol. Thinking of you daily. I am not much of a reader either, but.....if you like murder mystery whodunnit books that have happy endings, try reading any of Sandra Brown's books. The first book of her's that I read was The Witness. It jumps around a LOT at the beginning, but once you get started you won't be able to put it down (and that is saying a lot for me with my adult attention deficit disorder and all LOL). Another great book of her's is Smash Cut. Wish I still lived in the Pittsburgh area, if you would ask me, I would be more than happy to help you put jigsaw puzzles together. I haven't done that for a very long time. Take care. Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol! I can recommend an interesting book, too: Flatland, by A. Square. It's a short book, so you don't have to invest too much time in it. It's also very interesting and kind of profound (from a geeky engineering point of view). I can loan you a copy ("I have a friend" who's a geeky engineer...). Also, if you like numbers puzzles, you might enjoy sudoku, or ken-ken, or kakuro ("my friend" could set you up there, too!). If you're into computer games, I'd highly recommend Myst and its sequel, Riven.
    -Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you'd rather just listen to books you can check out audio books from the library and I believe you can download to an iPod/MP3

    ReplyDelete