Thursday, August 4, 2011

Storms Move Quickly

Growing up in New Jersey, I should know that storms can change direction and impact at any time.  I remember living through several Nor'easters that either fizzled out before arriving in NJ or picking up speed and flooding Sea Bright or dumping snow on the entire coast.  As much as forecasters try, they really can't predict the weather.  Well, I'm learning, I can't really predict everything that will happen on this journey.

I was planning on getting my portacath on Friday afternoon as I had 2 doctors appointments and it would mean just one vacation day from work.  Well, that schedule didn't really work out for the hospital.  So, around 5 pm on Tuesday evening, I learned that I would be getting my portacath Wednesday afternoon.  I was quickly able to find a ride (Thanks Nicole!) and arrange my work schedule to make this appointment.

In medicine, a port (or portacath) is a small medical appliance that is installed beneath the skin. A catheter connects the port to a vein. Under the skin, the port has a septum through which drugs can be injected and blood samples can be drawn many times, usually with less discomfort for the patient than a more typical "needle stick".

The hospital staff yesterday were amazing.  I was awake for the entire procedure but they all made sure I was as comfortable as possible.  They provided kindness as well as a few jokes and even turned on the Best of the 80's Mix in the OR.  How can anything go wrong when Van Halen's "Jump" is playing?  The surgeon did his best to make sure the port was not placed where my backpack straps would rest on my shoulders or where it could be easily seen.  I was in and out in just a couple of hours and felt well enough to go to the Pirates game in the evening.  Shame it had to rain :-( 

I had mixed feelings about getting the port.  It is definitely the best thing I can do medically as I don't have great veins for drawing blood or receiving IV's.  Still, it's a symbol that I am ill and that I will be receiving medical care.  I know when this journey is all over, the port will come out and there will just be a little scar there but for the next 9 months or so, it's there and it's a reminder no matter how great I am feeling, the journey continues.

1 comment: