Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Next Phase is Ready to Begin

I can only begin to understand what transplant patients must feel like after today's experience.  I had been waiting for the radiation team to call me to set up my simulation, the last step prior to beginning treatment.  I received a call around 9:30 this morning and at 12:15 I was at the hospital in the radiation room going through the simulation.  After the 10 minutes of simulation, my chemo was set up and my radiation treatments for the next 6 weeks were scheduled.  It all just happened so fast that I really didn't even have time to think or react.

So, on Tuesday, I will start my chemotherapy which will be a continuous infusion.  I will have the chemo changed every seven days for the next six weeks.  The process, from what I have been told is fairly simple.  My port is accessed and then dressed and I am hooked up to a fanny pack (I know, can't they come up with something better!) that I will carry around for a week at a time.  The fanny pack contains the chemo agent and a small pump and is very light weight.  Piece of cake, right?  Except showering, dressing and sleeping will all be a challenge.  I imagine once I get it all figured out, the six weeks will be up and I will be done. 

Apparently the radiation is equally as easy.  I go into the treatment room, verify my picture on the computer and state my name and birth date.  I lay down on the table (not so comfortable), stay still and within 15 minutes I am done.  Sounds easy enough, right?  We'll see.  Only time will tell, I guess.

There is still the unsettled business of the tattoos.  They wanted to do the permanent tattoos today but I put on the tears and they said they would see if the new markings will last.  For some reason, I really, really don't want the permanent tattoos.  I know they are small and no big deal but I just don't want them.  So, they will check the temporary markings on Tuesday and make a decision.  Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment